All Blacks Sevens team named for HSBC Singapore Sevens
Just two weeks on from their gold medal campaign at the Commonwealth Games, the All Blacks Sevens team for this weekend’s HSBC Singapore Sevens has been named.
The team is:
1. Tone Ng Shiu
2. Tim Mikkelson
3. Trael Joass
4. Joe Ravouvou
5. Dylan Collier
6. Akuila Rokolisoa
7. Teddy Stanaway
8. Andrew Knewstubb
9. Etene Nanai-Seturo
10. Ngarohi McGarvey-Black
11. Kurt Baker
12. Sione Molia
13. Jona Nareki
Several changes from the Commonwealth Games winning squad have been required, with Scott Curry (injury), Sam Dickson (injury), Joe Webber (illness), Regan Ware (parental leave) and Vilimoni Koroi (New Zealand under 20s) all unavailable.
Exciting backs Ngarohi McGarvey-Black and Joe Ravouvou return to the squad, while the hard-working Teddy Stanaway and Tone Ng Shiu bolster the forward park.
Akuila Rokolisoa continues his incredible rise in the game, named to don the black jersey for the third time this month after debuting in Hong Kong and backing up at the Commonwealth Games.
“We’re really looking forward to see how these players go. Guys are going to have to step up, start games and get good game time,” Coach Clark Laidlaw said.
“All the players that have come in have played well as of late so we’ve got a mix of guys who played well in Hong Kong and guys who played well at the Commonwealth Games so there is a real energy,” he said.
Spirits are high after the recent success, but Laidlaw said the team is focused on what is ahead of them.
“This is another tournament, we start again. The Commonwealth Games was a pinnacle event and one we tried to do well in and we’re delighted we managed that. But we’ve got three tournaments left in the World Series and we are sitting third, so we want to get as many points as we can.”
The All Blacks Sevens will face Wales, Australia and Scotland in Pool D.
Saturday 28 April (NZT)
3.22pm v Wales
6.50pm v Australia
10.16pm v Scotland
Sunday 29 April – Finals Day
Watch Hong Kong Sevens on SKY Sport
Coverage will be broadcast on SKY Sport Pop Up 56
World Rugby HSBC Men’s Sevens Series tournaments
- HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series, 1-2 December, Dubai – RUNNERS UP
- HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series, 9-10 December, Cape Town – WINNERS
- HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series, 26-28 January, Sydney – FIFTH PLACE
- HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series, 3-4 February, Hamilton – FOURTH PLACE
- HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series, 2-4 March, Las Vegas – FIFTH PLACE
- HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series, 10-11 March, Vancouver – SEVENTH PLACE
- HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series, 6-8 April, Hong Kong – FOURTH PLACE
- Commonwealth Games, 13-15 April, Gold Coast – WINNERS
- HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series, 28-29 April, Singapore
- HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series, 2-3 June, London
- HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series, 8-10 June, Paris
- Rugby World Cup Sevens, 20-22 July, San Francisco